Welcome to the Green Pedometer

Can a hopelessly out-of-shape grandmother find fitness? This is the big question. My marathon running daughter keeps trying to encourage me. Her latest gifts to me include a running shirt and a green pedometer. Will I be ready to walk a 5K in less than 2 months? Stay tuned and find out.

Friday, June 21, 2013

The Hopeless Blogger

As a reliable blogger, it turns out I am Hopeless.  Lazy.  Worthless.
A recent comment on this blog by Chatty Crone reminded me I actually had a blog.  I had forgotten.  Thank you Chatty Crone :-)

Life has a way of getting in the way of all my plans.   Last summer my brother and I developed a plan to clean out our grandmother's little vacant house and move our mama in.   Mama had been in a nursing home for several months, was on heavy duty zombie drugs so she wouldn't cause any trouble, and going downhill so so so fast.  So I spent weeks cleaning out the house so my brother could remodel.   We brought Mama home in a wheelchair with round the clock caregivers in October.   Slowly, we weaned her off all the drugs that were messing with her mind and phased out round the clock nursing care.   Mama has gained 25 pounds and is able to walk short distances now.  She has a lady who comes in 4 or 5 hours a day on weekdays to cook, clean and help with showers.  I go one day a week and my brother takes a day.  Her life is good.

To further derail my plans to exercise, lose 20 pounds and get healthy, I ended up having a hysterectomy last March.  What I did not expect was that 3 months later I would still be swollen, sore, and worthless. After a couple of setbacks in healing, my doc finally released me to ease into exercise.  Deciding enough was enough, I got back on the treadmill 3 days ago and could barely go 20 minutes on a really low speed.   Nevertheless, I have made myself repeat the torture yesterday and today.   Surely it will get easier if I just persevere.  Wish I knew what to do when my belly continues to swell every night.   Exercise seems to make it worse.  *sigh*

I do have more joys to share.  All 5 grandboys are healthy and happy. I have already had 3 tomatoes and several meals of kale from my secret garden on the back deck.  The weather has been perfect the last few days and the mountain laurel was gorgeous this year.  And I found out that I can fit three carseats in the back of a Prius!

1 comment: